Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Worker Bee Mondays ♥ Tips & Tricks

“Change is scary but almost all change is good.”
--Kate White, former editor-in-chief of Cosmpolitan
I pretty much need to tattoo this on my arm.  This is how much I don’t like change.  But I know that is something I just need to get over.  I should probably read this book!
Kate White wrote the book “I Shouldn’t Be Telling You This.”  She was the editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan for 14 years.  The book is described as filled with pearls of career wisdom on how to get ahead.  I think I will be ordering this on Amazon soon… and of course I’ll let you know what I think.
One interesting tip from this article is that “Meetings are always better smaller.  I would never do a meeting with more than six people.  You get more done and there’s more energy in the room.”  I know the bigger meetings that I have been a part of have been less productive and purely about getting information across to a large group.  It makes sense that a smaller meeting is going to get everyone involved.
“Everything good comes from networking.”  This is one I know is true.  Networking is something we all need to be constantly working on… it’s never too late to start.
Another great idea from the book is doing one career-related thing a week.  I have already started to try and set aside a bit of time to focus on career and actually schedule it in.  How did I ever expect to make in progress if I’m never leaving myself anytime for career work?  So I definitely think this a GREAT idea.



“Never give up on yourself, especially when you face rejection,” Maia Belay said. “The only time you’ve lost completely is when you stop believing in yourself.”
This is most certainly easier said than done, but it’s good advice nonetheless from a recent graduate who was able land an on-air broadcast journalism job less than a year after her graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts