Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Worker Bee Mondays ♥ Inspiration from Steve Jobs


What do you think of when you think of Mondays?  I can't help, but think of work!  So I'm going to be introducing Work Bee Mondays with some tips to help make the most of your 9-5 job.  Hopefully, these tips will help you make the most of your work week and get ahead.♥♥♥

This week I'm going to be sharing some inspirational Steve Jobs quotes from an article from Gadgets.

♥ In Playboy magazine in February 1985: "If you want to live your life in a creative way, as an artist, you have to not look back too much. You have to be willing to take whatever you've done and whoever you were and throw them away."

♥ At the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, May 1997: "I'm actually as proud of the things we haven't done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things."

♥ Talking about work at the Stanford University's Commencement address on June 12, 2005: "Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle."

♥ Talking about him being fired from Apple at the Stanford University's Commencement Speech 2005: "I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.[...] It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith."

♥ Steve Jobs gave an interview in "60 minutes" in 2003 in which he shared that his business model was inspired by The Beatles: "My model for business is The Beatles: They were four guys that kept each other's negative tendencies in check; they balanced each other. And the total was greater than the sum of the parts. Great things in business are not done by one person, they are done by a team of people."

♥ In an interview to BusinessWeek in 1998: "That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end, because once you get there, you can move mountains."

♥ In a statement to The New York Times, 2003: "[Design is] not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."

♥ In an interview to The Wall Street Journal in 1993 "Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me... Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful... that's what matters to me."

♥ Talking about Death at the Stanford University commencement speech, June 2005: "Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything -- all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure -- these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish."

I'm definitely a person that doesn't remember to stop looking back.  It's really easy to get caught up in all our past mistakes and the bad decisions we made.  Regret is hard.  It's hard on your soul.  Steve Jobs was so right and we just have to let all of that go and throw it in the trash.  It's not doing us any good to carry around the baggage of regrets or things we wish that we had done differently.

I'm also one of those people that tries to everything, but Steve Jobs' quote about innovation reminds me that half the battle is too focus and learn to say no to 1,000 things.  Wow, this would be hard for me.  But I think a lot of what I'm missing is a strong focus.

I was actually at Steve Jobs' Stanford University commencement speech in June 2005.  It's when I graduated with my my Bachelor's in Communication.  He encouraged us to love what we do.  For the past several years, I have not loved what I've been doing.  So I understand firsthand how hard it can be to not love what you do.  But I think it's also important to do what you need to do also.  If you need to pay your student loans, there is nothing wrong with working a job you don't love.  But try your hardest not to get stuck and don't give up on finding something you do love.  We do spend soooo much of our lives working and it may as well be for something you believe in.  I currently work for a non-profit organization who has a mission that I believe in.  So while I may not be passionate about answering insurance questions, I can stand behind what the company stands for, which makes a huge difference.

You say getting fired can be a blessing?  This is one that I hope we all never have to experience, but I'm glad to know that even Steve Jobs says so! :)

"And the total was greater than the sum of the parts"... this is a GREAT one we should all post up in our cubicles or your office (I'm jealous of your office by the way).

Focus & Simplicity - this is one that should be posted in my cubicle for sure!

"There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish." Let's try it this week. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts